Growing up, we did not eat Indian food, perhaps because there were no authentic Indian food restaurants in our small town, or more likely, because my mom is not a fan of curry. I, however, am a big fan of all flavorful foods, including Indian food. This recipe is a take on butter chicken, made with chicken thighs, and added peas for some green. You could make this in a crockpot or use a cast iron pot (like I did).
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ginger
6 oz tomato paste
1/2 cup yogurt
1 can coconut milk
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1. Heat oil in large dutch oven or pot. Add the chicken and brown on all sides.
2. Add the onions and cook until onions are softened. If you are using a crockpot, at this point add the chicken and onions to the crockpot and follow the remaining directions (cooking for 4-6 hours).
3. Add garlic, garam masala, curry, turmeric, and ginger. Stir together.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk.
5. Pour coconut milk mixture over the chicken and stir together.
6. Let cook on low for 45 – 60 minutes (or 4-5 hours in a crockpot), or until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Mix in the peas.
7. Serve with steamed rice, and garnish with chopped parsley.
recipe adapted from Living Lou